I recently read a collection of memories from a gentleman I don't know. They were his memories of people that had reached out to him in his life that he was grateful for. Reading about these serving hands, inspired a desire to create my own list of memories, for certainly, I have been the recipient of such service.
Upon adopting our little Katrina, (we were unable to have children until then) serving and giving hearts and hands came spontaneously out of the wood work. It seemed that everywhere, everyone wanted to share in our joy. We stopped at a Garage sale in PA, and upon learning of our happy news, the lady ran into the house and brought out a little story book about an adopted baby. My co-worker stayed extra hours and made extra phone calls the night before I left so that we would hit our goals for the month and earn our bonuses. Then she gave us $300 of her own money. Our lawyer gave us 10% discount because he was a personal friend. Pete's co-worker had friends that had also adopted a baby. Though we'd never met them, they sent us a book and she gave a gift as well. Another co-worker quilted...yes quilted a beautiful baby blanket with tiny inch squares. It is heirloom quality and is a treasured remembrance of her love. Family from home sent clothes, and a darling baby blanket that they'd gotten together and sewn while we were still in Philadelphia. Several aquaintances from home sent gifts with our families to celebrate her arrival. 3 women in our church at the time arranged for 3 different baby showers. Our upstairs neighbor gave me all her baby clothes. Our Social worker really went to bat for us when the state wasn't getting the paperwork done and we were apart from Pete. We were on the plane within the next 2 days when he started making phone calls.
Angie Craven. I started bleeding when I was pregnant with Olivia. Pete was working in Vegas and I came out of the bathroom bewildered and scared. The phone rang and it was Angie...just happening to call at the perfect moment to serve (This happens a lot) She volunteered to take my other little girls while I ran to the Dr.s, contacted Pete and our church leaders.
I think it's at our most vulnerable times that kindness makes it's mark so deeply that it will never be forgotten.
When I was giving birth to Bekah, I had many exceptional nurses, but one in particular stood out. Her heart was a well-spring of compassion. I don't remember all the details, but I remember her holding my head on her shoulder as I was receiving my ephideral. Her gentleness in that moment still brings tears.
I had exploratory surgery in Denver. The Dr. there was the most encouraging man concerning fertility. He spoke with great energy and optimism. When I was coming out of the anesthetics, for some reason I felt fear. I was disoriented and in pain. I remember him coming in with a smile and joking...I don't remember what he said but his concern for me was so appreciated in that moment.
I was with my husband, Pete, on one of his job sites and he showed me where he'd messed up on the siding. Having it fresh on my mind, I pointed it out to a middle aged couple who joined us, Joyce and Larry, who we both knew. She immediately looked at me and said, "Don't ever point out his mistakes in public." I looked after her with admiration when she left. I was newly married, and I wanted to be a wife like her.
I was heading back to Las Vegas from up North. Pete had just left for Iraq and I felt like I had my hands full with my two little girls (3) and (1). I stopped in St. George for breakfast, cheery but emotionally tired. We ate our breakfast and as we got ready to leave, the server came over to me and told me that an older woman had paid our bill for us. I asked where she was so we could thank her, but she'd left already. My first thought was, "His servants are EVERYWHERE!".
I was shopping in Vegas and a beautiful older couple came over to us and started conversing with the little girls. All three of them were animated as they told them all their little stories. The gentleman wandered off, but the lady listened and listened and smiled and laughed. Before she left, she looked at Katrina and said, "My baby is 55 years old!" Then she looked at me and said, "We've been married for 60 years!, He's amazing! (Pointing to her husband), He's absolutely amazing!) I walked away thinking...You're amazing! Beautiful People.
As I have only begun and already it's my longest post yet, I will have to have a part 2 and part 3 and part 4...:) Truly what a blessed existence we make for each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment