I was recently told a story by a friend of mine. He described an encounter with a great man. He had a approached the wise man for advice. The gentleman looked him in the eye and said, "Bryan, do you know how to know?" To which my friend said, "yes". The reply, "Then why are you asking me?"
This question has been echoing through my mind. "Do you know how to know?"
There was a time when I decided to question boldly. It was a time to reexamine all my core beliefs...what I thought I knew, what I believed, why was I born, what was "the whole thing" even about, did it matter, who's opinion is right, wrong, worth listening too...etc. The whole process had many ups and downs, but it brought about a change in my motivations for doing things. It narrowed my assumptions, and broadened my perceptions. I'm grateful I went through it, but more grateful I came out of it. I started slide from healthy doubt into disbelief. When Joseph Smith stated in the 13th article of faith, "We believe all things," I believe he was referring to a state of being...a believing state of being. Only when we are in a state of believing can we come to the place of "knowing that we know".
No comments:
Post a Comment