Sunday, December 16, 2007

Happiness is always personal

It seems that every book I read, there is at least one passage or some thought that inspires change in my views or way of thinking. These are things I ponder about over and over. I read/listened to a bit of Ayn Rand over the summer. The life changing phrase she penned for me was, "Happiness is always personal." She was advocating a strict allegience to self. (of course she was, after all, She is Ayn Rand) Perhaps it's because I have held an allegience to other people my whole life that this book and phrase held such meaning for me. All those times I have done, or not done things because of the crowd. Not because it rang true to me personally, but alot of people are doing it that way so...I will too. An allegience to others, I believe, comes of a lack of connection to that space in everyone that discerns all truth, for if we look to "the experts," to "the popular", to "the elite" of an unhealthy society, how can we expect to be given a true answer. As Socrates so aptly put it when everyone disagreed with him, "I only am left alone and cannot agree, for you do not convince me; you only produce many false witnesses against me, in the hope of depriving me of my heritage, which is the truth."

In awakening to "my personal happiness", I started making a concious effort to hold my joy personally, to relish the moments when pure intelligence flow in, or when a higher way is chosen, or when I watch a good result.

Pete, my husband, has always understood this principle. Though he shares all he shares -with me, I know there is much he holds close and doesn't share at all. Napolean Hill in his study of the most successful men in the world, speaks of each of them having part of them that they didn't share with anyone. He also speaks of each of them "listening" to that quiet space when a tough decision was to be made or a deal closed. That part they listened too, followed, and also kept very private. I am beginning to "see" that part.

I read another book over the summer called, "Cure for the common life; Living in your sweet spot." It's author, Max Lucado, a Baptist minister I believe, defines your sweet spot as what you love to do, what you would do if you didn't HAVE to x,y,z... He suggests that one's sweet spot is where that person will make change in the world. It is God's gift. I would suggest it is God in embryo.

Like Ayn Rand, I believe that happiness is personal. In the sense that no mortal can provide it, give it, or take it. Whatever that "quiet place", "sweet spot", or "light" is that exists in humankind, it is the source, the wellspring of personal happiness. Though, it is never personal in that it is connected to all that is God, for it is part of Him.

1 comment:

MJ said...

hey Tammy...I finally checked out Uncle Tom's Cabin b/c you've said it's one of your favorites. I am almost half way through and I just love it so far! It is so touching. Thanks!