Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Book Review

This is one thing I've been looking forward too...mostly to revisit what I learned from different books and cement it in my mind, and also to hear what "the other readers" on this blog think of what they read.

The Epicenter, Joel Rosenburg

Rosenburg started writing political thrillers in 2001 right before 9/11. A significant amount of events that he wrote/writes about have become reality. As he says, "Truth became stranger than fiction." His novels fit their description of being, "thrillers", a little sensational... but I didn't find this to be the case with Epicenter. He wrote Epicenter to explain where he gets his inspiration for the novels. Being a D.C. insider added to his heritage as a Christian Jew, he brings a unique perspective combining Politics, economics, and what he calls "the third lense", scripture. With this extensive background of knowledge added to his faith in our Savior and His prophecies, I found his book to be very informative, interesting, and even inspirational. Reading it agitated my budding interest in Judaism and the Holy Land. It made Iran's and Russia's actions of late come into focus, and it gave me hope for events that will eventually herald the way into the Second Coming. I would reccomend the book to anyone that enjoys current events, religion, and political science, because he weaves them all together to form a great picture of the present and possible future.

I recently met a man from Jan ur by Jhan - ok so I'm not really pronouncing it correctly but they are a country by Russia who has been fighting the Turks for the last decade. He runs a suit shop in St. George and Pete needed a suit to go to Paris last month. Between tayloring and color matching, we three had a very interesting conversation. Tiger, (that's his name, only one of the many interesting things about him, for example his pet Zebra) talked to Pete about active duty military. He has served on the front lines of war for 8 years, though his Italian looks portrayed an age of 20. He spoke of Russia as an ally as well as the U.S. in a positive light. He suggested that Bush went into Iraq as a spring board into Iran. Iran and Korea both pose a threat to the U.S. and U.S. interests but the world would stand behind us against Korea, not Iran. Bush had a choice between the two, he knew we, with current military levels would/could not do both so he chose Iran via Iraq. Who could blame him? This was the jist of his argument and it made me think and I think possibly agree with him...given my current knowledge. What struck me more than his very striking argument was 1) His breadth of knowledge of the world and 2) His knowledge of US foreign policy. He was fair. I think because the US is a super power, we tend to be oblivious to real currant affairs. Our news isn't reality anymore, it's about Tom Cruises latest whatever... I've taken to reading british newspapers anymore, they tell the story more accurately...
This all brings me to my point that this book was a similar experience for me. It let me peek into the world of world leaders and hear their thoughts, stances, and opinions...albeit through Rosenburg's world view. But it was powerful to read suppositions and sense that they were substantial. I wanted more.


No comments: