My favorite item of business that we do in our homeschool daily is we recite the "Quote of the week". Last week it just happened to be, "I Can Do Hard Things." If I knew who first said it, I would attribute it to them, but since I don't, I will attribute it to a dear friend who suggested what a powerful "mental tape" that would be for a child to have. I'm really into mental tapes and want my children to have only the best, so we began...
It was great from the beginning... it tied into everything! Nephi had to leave his home and all his great stuff...would that be hard? YES, Nephi did hard things. Can you do hard things. YES! Lehi had to talk to a bunch of people that wanted to KILL him. Would that be hard? YES! Lehi did hard things, can you do hard things. YES! I can do HARD things! What I hadn't anticipated, but turned out to my utter delight was the out of the school room time.
We went to McDs in Vegas and I was holding my 1 month old while Bekah (2) and Katrina(5) played on the play place. My ears caught sound of Bekah's familiar wail above the commotion of the 10 other children running around. I walked over and said, Bekah what's wrong. MOMMY! HELP! Bekah I just can't climb up there, I have Olivia...MOMMY!!! Bekah, remember you can do hard things...try to figure out what you need to do to get down. 2-3 minutes later a Beaming blondie ran around the corner to me shouting, "Mommy! I CAN do HARD things!!!" Classic moment. This is one of many examples that we all have learned we can do hard things. Truly, the quote of the week is my favorite.
2 comments:
Tammy,
I loved so much the idea of a quote of the week and your quote of "I can do hard things" seemed so great that I tried it this past week. How great it was. I was really surprised at how excited the girls where by having a quote of the week. They asked can they please just hang it up so they can always see it. Then the way the said it all the time to themselves and eachother was so inspiring. If Niyah was trying to open something Harely would say "You can do hard things." If Harley was getting mad Niyah would say "You can do hard things, be nice!" Then they would do whatever it was they where trying to do. I just realized that such a little thing could help them be so motivated and not to give up. What a great teaching method and something that truly builds their core! Think how great it is to have that installed so that whenever you are confronted with a difficult task to automatically think "I can do Hard Things!" I loved it, thanks for sharing Tammy.
What a sweet little example of doing hard things!
Post a Comment