Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Bronze Bow

The Bronze Bow was written by Elizabeth George Speare and winner of the Newberry Medal. It was a quick read and exceptional in the line of children's literature. It's been my experience with historical fiction that sometimes the author's attempt at capturing the time period, bars the reader from the characters. She pulls it off. She notably adds to knowledge of the time period, without distracting the reader from the characterization. Most of these gems are added as an afterthought like a real biography...she seems to take it for granted. For example, various Jewish traditions and thought patterns are woven throughout the novel but never take over it.

The story of is a young boy who lives at the time of Christ. He despises Rome and is actively seeking the Deliverer so that he can join him and fight Rome with him. As the book progresses, it is plain that he has great cause to harbor his hatred. He hears of Jesus of Nasareth and off and on chances to view and listen too him. His interactions with Jesus, I found to be quite believable and illuminating even. Yet another feat she pulls off...how do you capture the Savior of the world in a children's book? There were only a few phrases that she ascribed to Him that I thought...hmmm, I don't know about that, but the majority was entirely believable.

I think it would be a great book to read with youth and discuss at length. I would say 10 and up would like it.

No comments: