Monday, September 3, 2007

Scripture stories

Our family has been studying scripture stories, especially Bible stories right now. We've always focused on our core book, the Book of Mormon, for family study so I wanted to emphasize the bible stories during school time. This past little while we've been covering Joseph sold into Egypt. I read a brief synopsis of the story several weeks ago and we decorated an old denim shirt with fabric paint for our coat of many colors. It's been put in the dress up box and utilized often :). I asked the girls some questions and they didn't remember alot of detail from 2 weeks ago (before we went on vacation) so today we refreshed. We covered some basic skills, (3 R's) then went over the story of Joseph verbally. We retrieved our "coat of many colors", and proceeded to act/dance it out to Andrew Lloyd Weber's "Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat." (ok, it's a little irreverent in places BUT...) It was so fun and they were riveted! It seemed so realistic to my two year old that when the brother's sold "me" Joseph, she rushed to me with a protruding lower lip and wanted to hug me to stay :(.

I'm seeing that when they are truly having fun, they are just chomping at the bit to learn. In that environment, I can slip in some of the not as fun things and their ok with it. They both sat and practiced letters and numbers for me on the high of broadway music... Even the 3 mo old appeared to be delighted.

3 comments:

Salinda W. said...

I think that is so wonderful Tammy. I think those great moments really help us remember why we are doing this and it holds us out on those days when things don't go just the way we think they should. Also where else but at home could they learn this way? To be learning in an exciting way about the scriptures during school time is such a blessing. Good for you.

Christi Sewell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christi Sewell said...

There are wonderful new books available at your local Walmart. Chance and Boo absolutely love them. It is called Who's Your Hero? There are three books in the series. It is written at a level that even Chance and Boo understand them. The illustrations are a fun caricature style. Then there are real world applications to each of the stories. It makes the prophets of the Book of Mormon heroes and role models. Then at the end of practical application there are recommendations for FHE that could easily be applied to other lessons. I just got them the other day and we love them. I highly recommend them.